Визи за България / Bulgarian Visas
The Republic of Bulgaria is implementing the common visa policy of the European Union.
According to a decision of the Council of Ministers on January 25, 2012, the Republic of Bulgaria unilaterally applies a visa-free regime for holders of valid Schengen visas. Such travelers may enter the Republic of Bulgaria and reside for a total of 3 months within a 6 month period, counted from the date of their first entry.
Furthermore, holders of valid visas and residency permits, issued by Romania, Cyprus and Croatia, may enter the Republic of Bulgaria and reside for a total of 90 days within 180-day period, without the need to acquire a short-term visa (visa type C) for Bulgaria.
The full list of the countries, whose citizens need a visa in order to enter the Republic of Bulgaria, may be found here.
- Visa C (for a short stay for the purpose of transit or a planned stay): more information here
- Visa D (for a long stay): more information here
A foreign citizen wishing to apply for a Bulgarian visa shall hold a regular travel document that meets the following requirements:
- its validity expires at least 3 months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria or in case of multiple visits - after the last scheduled date of departure from the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria;
- contains at least 2 blank pages for visa purposes;
- has been issued within the last 10 years.
Visas are issued by the diplomatic and consular missions of the Republic of Bulgaria.
Visa applications forms are submitted not earlier than 3 months before the date of the intended travel personally.
Visa applications for persons under legal guardianship shall be submitted by their legal representatives or by persons expressly authorised to do so.
Visa applications for underage persons or persons with limited judicial disability shall be submitted by their legal representatives, trustees or by persons expressly authorised to do so.
Requirements for Visa Applications
All fields in the application shall be filled in legibly in typed letters. The names shall be filled in with Latin letters (the way they are spelt in the foreign travel passport). The rest of the information shall be filled in in English or Bulgarian. The application shall be signed by the applicant personally. The members of the family of European Union citizens shall fill in only those fields of the visa application form which indicate their family relationship.
Obligatory personal interview when applying for a type “D” visa
No exception shall be made from the requirement for a personal interview when applying for a long-stay visa.
Documents to be submitted with the visa application:
- A photocopy of the first page of the foreign travel document;
- A photocopy of the last Bulgarian and Schengen visas or visas for the UK and the US, if any
- A full color photograph 3,5 cm х 4,5 cm against light-colored background (the same holds for a child entered in the passport) – a full-face photo with clear, large enough face which takes up 70-80% of the photo; eyes must be red; the following is ineligible: photos with dark glasses; non-professional photos or cut out of amateur photos
- A medical insurance valid for the EU member states for the whole period of the trip, covering all costs for repatriation and for urgent medical care and emergency hospital treatment for the period of the stay indicated in the visa. The insurance amount cannot be less than 30 thousand euro
- Tickets (original and copy) or ticket booking conformation or financial means
- Copy of the technical passport of the car of the trip
- For under-aged children travelling without their parents or trustees the following documents shall be submitted:
- a copy of the birth certificate
- original and photocopy of a power of attorney notary certified by both parents/ trustees or by one parent trustee that they agree their child to travel unaccompanied by them.
The following persons are exempt from presenting proof for subsistence, accommodation and transportation:
- Members of the families or the households of European Union, European Economic Area and the Swiss Confederation citizens;
- Persons applying for a visa for a long stay in view of gathering their families, in relation to a refugee status acquired or asylum in the Republic of Bulgaria – pursuant to a written decision of the State Agency for Refugees with the Council of Ministers
- Holders of service and diplomatic passports
The following persons are exempt from presenting an insurance policy:
- Members of the families or the households of European Union, European Economic Area and the Swiss Confederation citizens
- Holders of service and diplomatic passports
- Seamen who meet the criteria of Convention №108 of the International Labour Organization when submitting applications for short-stay visas with the purpose of transit
- Persons who can be deemed to be insured or can cover expenses in unforeseen circumstances due to their social or service status.
The following persons are exempt from fees for visa application processing
- Foreign citizens who as of the date of the visa application are under 6 years
- Members of Bulgarian and EU citizens’ familie
For more detailed information, please visit official site: